1. Believe that humanity is constantly getting better, and that each new era of history is better than the last. Progress is inevitable.
2. Refer to any previous age that valued religion, cultural conformity, and family values as a “dark age,” “ignorant,” or “intolerant.”
3. View scientific naturalism as “rational” and “open-minded,” while anything metaphysical or religious is “childish,” “naive,” or “stupid.”
4. Believe that the chief source of the ills of the world is religion, “intolerance,” or “unenlightenment.”
5. Believe that every individual is autonomous, and that social and family virtues are “outdated.”
6. Distrust any ancient source because it lacks modern “precision” or skepticism. In Christianity, this means that the modern historian knows more than the church fathers, Greco-Roman historians, or Jewish sources because he is more “rational” and has the latest discoveries.
7. In the arts, if you are populist, emphasize the 60’s, “indie”, and Andy Warhol. If you are an elitist, emphasize John Cage and Jackson Pollock. A combination of the two views is preferred.
8. Related to number 7, if art is “conventional,” “classical,” paleo anything, religious, traditional, or western, view it as “boring,” “regressive,” “irrelevant,” “unoriginal” or “oppressive.” By contrast, any art that is “shocking,” “provocative,” “activist,” “subversive,” “innovative,” or politically relevant is automatically genuine, inspired, relevant, and true artistry.
9. Re-interpret western cultural history in lieu of number 8.
10. Secular, egalitarian democracy based on an ever-increasing list of individual “rights” (the individual is autonomous, remember?) is the ultimate and perfect form of government. Any sort of hierarchy, religious system, or previous form of government is simply “anti-progress” and “bigoted.”
11. Make sure you label those who oppose you with anti-intellectual or politically expedient stereotypes, including but not limited to: bigot, hick, racist, ethnocentric, xenophobic, homophobic, backwater, dark aged, anti-learning, anti-progress, anti-education etc…
12. Make sure “love” = moral license, but moral laws = intolerance. Especially use this to undermine traditional, orthodox, Christianity.
13. Related to number 12, make sure that “progressive Christians” that agree with you on many of these points are labeled “true loving Christians,” but traditionalists are considered “bigoted” or even better, “militant fundamentalist.” After all, an orthodox Christian should always be grouped with a militant Muslim, right?
14. “Separation of Church and State” is your personal religion. Anything else makes one a Fascist or Theocrat.
15. Make sure you bring up Hitler whenever possible as an example of “the extreme right.”
16. Make sure that all previous western history is understood to be “Patriarchal,” “oppressive,” and “colonialist.” Make sure that those that are from the Christian and classical west hate their heritage and embrace “multiculturalism,” “democracy,” and “pluralism” as true enlightenment. This is especially important in the education system as the young are prepared to be global citizens.
17. To ensure this hasn’t been forgotten, again, always use labels such as “hate,” “intolerance,” “racist,” “homophobic,” and others as much as possible to silence opposition, especially in reference to Christians and western traditionalists. Again, make sure an increasing list of individual “rights” is considered love. If possible, accuse someone who disagrees as “self-loathing.”
18. Fulfillment is found in being true to yourself, expressing yourself, and making yourself happy. If you feel confused or unfulfilled about this, please seek someone truly scientific like a psychiatrist. Never become pious! Anyone who finds religion is “weak.”
19. Make clear that while we can have precision and certainty on anything naturalistic, anything based on a Scripture or orthodox faith is “full of contradictions” because it lacks this precision.
20. Finally, if you are feeling “down,” “depressed,” or “disillusioned,” with the enlightenment outlined above, and modern psychology hasn’t worked, do one of two things: Find a ton of hobbies to make yourself “busy” and be constantly entertained, or give up that you can know anything at all and embrace nothingness.
Does anyone care to add a few more? Any experiences with modern chauvinism?